Personality is a complex issue. It was measured using a 20-item widely recognised “Big 5” Factors of Personality scale. The five dimensions are described below (Barrick & Mount, 1991):
- Extraversion: ambition and sociability.
- Neuroticism: anxious, depressed, angry, embarrassed, emotional, worried and insecure.
- Agreeableness: courteous, flexible, trusting, good-natured, cooperative, forgiving, soft-hearted, and tolerant.
- Conscientiousness: dependability (being careful, thorough, responsible, organised and planned) as well as hardworking, achievement-oriented and persevering.
- Openness to Experience: imaginative, cultured, curious, original, broad-minded, intelligent and artistically sensitive.
The results of this study found that TOA is positively related with personality traits of Extraversion, Agreeableness, Conscientiousness and Openness to Experience. It is negatively related with Neuroticism.